Fan Zone | Fan Fiction | Steffie | A Man Apart

Chapter Three

ONE WEEK LATER:

Phones ringing off the hook, computers buzzing, coffee machines clicking and men screaming at the top of their lungs. Yes this was a typical day at the FBI agency, where the proud men worked everyday, seemingly protecting the lives of the town people. But right now it was more hectic that usual. Not only doing their usual work, they guys were working extra hard to solve the case of the murder of the wife of one of their top agents, Dave Batista.

Fellow undercover agents Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, John Cena and Randy Orton sat in Chief’s Steve Austin’s office, discussing the case with the present evidence. They had been on the case around the clock since the day after the shooting, and they had no intention of stopping or resting until they came on something concrete.

“We finally have a lead,” Eddie said, dropping a brown folder on Steve’s desk. Steve quickly took the folder and pulled out some black and white pictures that had been concealed in the paper material. Fumbling with his beard as he watched the pictures, he growled a little and then looked at his workers.

“So, who’s the jackass?” Steve roughly asked. Kurt took in a deep breath and leaned back. “His name is Brock Lesnar, mafia representative positioned in Los Angeles,” Kurt began. Austin nodded, focusing his eyes on the pictures in front of him. “So what’s the story?” Austin asked. John Cena then got up and handed Steve another envelope.

“Well the only possible motive we have now is believable enough to cause murder. 2 years ago Dave had an undercover job and exposed some of the mafia’s ring leaders who are currently in jail. Looks like plain revenge if you look at everything,” John pointed out, placing his hands on the edges of the desk. Austin nodded, everything making logical sense in his mind.

“These pictures were taken by a photographer named Rico who has supposedly making a collage. He stated he wanted some pictures of different people and his eyes feel on Brock, and he took these pictures. As soon as Brock shot Lillian, Rico went running,” Randy said. He leaned back in his chair as well, the mere thought of Lillian wanted to make him burst in tears and cry.

“I want to have a little chat with this Ricky person,” Austin stated. “Rico,” Kurt corrected which earned him a deadly glare from Chief Austin. Austin got up, leaning his knuckles on the desk. “You just corrected me? What? Yes you did, you just corrected Steve Austin,” Austin began. Kurt’s eyes widened with fear and the others tried to suppress their laughter.

“I didn’t mean to sir,” Kurt said, but Austin was not listening. “Did you do that because you think I am stupid? What? Look at me when I am talking to you!” Steve bellowed. Kurt looked at him as Austin started yelling at him. The others were softly chuckling, knowing Kurt had it coming to him. After a few minutes of yelling, Austin was finally finished. Taking in a deep breath, he placed his hands firmly on the desk and took a seat.

“I’ll have Rico called in tomorrow,” Eddie said, trying not to laugh. Steve nodded and looked at John. “I want you to find me everything you can on this Brian Lesnar dude and his associates,” Steve stated. John merely nodded, knowing not to correct Steve about the name before he would get a yelling as well.

There was a moment of silence before Steve pressed his speakerphone. “STACY! Get your butt in here!” Steve yelled over the intercom. Within seconds, Stacy came running in, a smile on her face. “Yes honey?” Stacy asked, looking at her boss. Steve smiled, looking at the pretty blond.

“Get me a beer, and whatever these guys want,” Steve said. Stacy turned to the guys, asking them what they wanted. “Milk,” Kurt said, John and Randy wanted a beer as well and Eddie took a cup of coffee. As soon as Stacy left, Steve let out a deep sigh. “So how is Dave?” he asked, his voice sounding sincere and concerned, yet still had his rough accent.

Randy groaned and ran a hand through his short brown hair, looking rather sad. “I saw him last week in front of Lillian’s tombstone in the rain, just staring at it. I tried to talk to him, but the whole time he only said ONE sentence. For the rest, the man is just lost and clueless,” Randy sadly said. John frowned, knowing exactly how the huge beast of a man felt. “Can’t really blame him,” Steve said. All the guys just nodded, not understanding that Steve was coming from personal experience. His wife Debra may not have been murdered, but she was dead, so he knew what it was like to lose a wife.

“I tried calling him all week, but he hasn’t been answering his phone. I don’t think it would be a good idea to go up to the house,” Eddie said. Steve nodded, placing his clasped hands under his chin. “I reckon the same, wait for him to come out,” he said. “And if he doesn’t?” Kurt suddenly piped in. Steve just shrugged, leaning back against his huge armchair.

“Then we drag him out,” he said. Before anybody could reply, the door creaked open and a figure stepped in. All the boys sat up straight as Dave Batista walked in, looking around with a plain expression on his face. He walked up to Austin and looked right at his boss. Steve on the other hand looked very confused.

“Dave, what the hell are you doing here?” Steve asked, his initial intention not meaning to sound so rough. Dave merely stood there, staring right at Steve. “Special agent Batista reporting for duty,” he said, his voice hoarse. It was obvious that he must have been crying for hours with the bags under his eyes and his croaky voice. Steve shook his head, as if trying to wake up from a dream.

“No, you need to go home and sleep,” Steve insisted. The looking Dave’s eyes confirmed that he had no intention on going home. “Honey the beer wasn’t………..cold,” Stacy said, her last word coming out slurred as she jumped in the office, her eyes locked on Dave. “Hey Dave, I’m sorry about what happened,” she softly said. Dave turned to look at her, then turned his eyes back at Steve. “I’ll be in the gym,” he plainly said.

He was about to leave when his eyes fell on the photos that lay sparred out on the desk. Before any of the guys realized it, Dave picked up the picture, examining it intently. “We believe we have a lead on,” Randy began, but stopped midway, not wanting to say Lillian’s name. He knew it would upset both Dave and himself. Leaning further into his chair, he thought it would have been better to shut up.

“On your case,” Eddie said. Dave just looked at the picture once more, then threw it at Steve. “I’ll be in the gym,” he said and slowly made his way out of the office, his every step making a deafening clank on the tiled floor. Everybody remained silent until Dave was completely out of sight. Stacy carefully placed the cool beer cans and other drink on the table, and was about to leave, when Steve spoke up.

“Umm Stacy,” he called out. Stacy turned to look at him, her hair flipping with the motion. “Thanks hun,” he roughly said and popped the can, drinking it all in one gulp. Stacy merely smiled, Steve’s affection, no matter how weird or small was enough to have her smiling for the rest of the day. Another moment of silence before John spoke up.

“We will get back to work,” he said. All the guys hummed in approval and got up, leaving Austin alone in his office.

Back

 

Reload